A long time ago, I noticed a small issue in indexed_search, the search component of TYPO3 CMS. It's about not being able to start crawling external URLs if the base URL of the crawler job is initialized with a base URL that doesn't point to a Domain itself, but e.g. to a file with a link list to be indexed.
But let's see what happened in a chronological order:
The bug was found on a TYPO3 v4.0 installation and reported in the old bugtracker as bug with the ID 4167 on 2006-09-06 20:13. The first patch was based on SVN rev 1734 and uploaded 5 days later.
A second patch (based on SVN rev 5837) was uploaded on 2009-08-28 which was just a "rebased" version as we call it today in Git-speak. At that day, the "trunk" was the development status towards TYPO3 v4.3 - which means the bug was still existing in TYPO3 v4.2.x, too.
The second patch got 2 positive feedbacks as comments in Mantis - one out of them being from a Core Developer.
At the end of November 2011, I pushed the first change request for this issue to Gerrit, where it's available as the Review with the number 6990. Again, this was just the same change content wise. Just the surrounding changed: No patch file anymore, but a new, shiny and structured review-process ahead. The first change-set was rebased to the current Git-Master branch - which at that time was the development status towards TYPO3 v4.7.0.
Within 48 hours I got two reviews for the change, that both suggested some small improvements to the patch. Thanks Simon and Stefan for that! Both feedbacks to change-set one were tackled and change-set number two was pushed to the review process.
That change was now planned for the releases 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7 (as the next coming release). Another two +1 votes were given - but then nothing happened to the patch. After weeks of inactivity, Stefan proposed to change the targeting releases and finally Philipp proposed to now target the following releases: 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 and 6.0.
Around the end of June 2012 I've changed the commit line and pushed the change to the review system again. OK, Jenkins was nit-picking and was right - due to the rather big changes in the whole code base due to the CGL-related cleanup / changes. So I've reworked the patch manually and pushed another version to the review system the same day. Change-set number four succeeded and we were ready for human-reviews again.
In August 2012, the change got two positive reviews by Stefan and Woulter - thanks guys!
In November 2012 version 6.0.0 of TYPO3 was released - without that bugfix.
At the beginning of April 2013, the change was rebased reflect the namespace-changes on the way to TYPO3 v6.0 - this was pushed as change-set number 5. The content of the change is still the same. At that moment in time, the patch targeted the following versions: 4.5, 4.7, 6.0 and 6.1
A few days later, Dmitry gave the first negative review on that issue - but revoked his "-1" after reading the explanations I gave in the review and some kind words from Stefan. After that interaction, the patch was staying around with no real-reviews and thus was probably not noticed anymore in the days before the next big release:
At the end of April 2013, version 6.1.0 of TYPO3 was released - without that bugfix.
During July 2013, I've rebased the patch - once again. Now targeting at the releases 4.5, 4.7, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 - notice that the list of releases to which this short change would need to be backported is getting longer and longer over time?
Just minutes after pushing change-set number 6 to the review system - Stefan gave the patch a "-1 on reading". For the same patch where he gave so many positive feedbacks in the past. And as a reaction to my comment to explain why Stefan might have understand the patch wrong, Christian now asks for unit tests to "unconfuse the confusion".
On 15h of July 2013, I've pushed change-set number 7 to the review system. It now contains a new file containing some unit-tests for that class - which increases the size of the change-request from "+7 -1 lines" to "+128 -3 lines" of code to review.
I'm still hoping to get that bugfix into the TYPO3-Core as long as there is no "official" decision to not accept the change at all.
Let's see what the future will bring us for my lovely issue 16534 ;-)